After a short break for xmas, the guys at The Panel Shop got back into in a big way. First up was the boot. Filled lots of holes where fuel pumps, the battery, and other things had been mounted over the years. One exhaust hanger was damaged, including the floor, so that was sorted out. The hump for the 25 gallon tank was smoothed out a bit (we ended up just repacing this section later).
Some fairly heavy pitting had made the firewall a bit unsightly, where the K frame bolts up against the firewall. This was all cut out and replaced.
The floor had a few spots that needed attention. A part had torn where there was once an exhaust hanger. That was cleaned up. Also, replacing some metal on the front lower edge of the rear wheel well.
Next up was the front end. There was only really a couple tiny holes of rust, but it did have some dents, and surface rust, so anything that wasn't 110% perfect was cut out and replaced. Back in the day, the battery recess had been modified, to create a nice smooth wheel well that matched left to right. I wanted to keep that look, so the guys cleaned this up a bit. A bunch of holes were welded up, and it's now all ready to re-install.
Door skins were all very good bar one which needed a corner repair. Door and boot frames were in perfect condition, no surface rust or holes, so we got luck here. Etch primer, was sprayed on, then a sound deadining section added as per fctory.
After the doors were file finished, they were reinstalled back on the car and lined up against the original sills, with the rear quarters clamped back on to temporarily check the alingment. Once they were lined up nicely, the door opening was braced, and the original sills removed. After blasting, there was just one small 1.5mm hole on the passenger side, so both sides were removed to check for rust behind them. Luckily we did that, as the inner sill support brace had a lot of surface rust. Deano's Auto Restorations was given the go ahead to manufactuer two new inner supports, and Rare Parts supplied the outer sills.
The Rare Spares sills are pretty good, but are missing the original style drain pressing. The guys fixed that up to look right.
Labour during this period: 146 hours
R/h door boot and fire wall 34 hrs
L/h door and skirts & rails 13.5 hrs
Floor pan 17 hrs 17.00 rod skirts & rails 8 hrs
Paint doors & boot skins & frames & proof coat 4
Fit door skins gap doors remove sill panels 33.5
Skirts & rails reshape repro sills and front 1/4 panel sections 36 hrs