Started off with a set of alloy rocker covers, but we noticed there was some minor imperfections on the top and sides. Mostly just ripples, not a perfectly flat finish, which was noticeable when the light reflected off them. The polishing in the corners could have been better too. So I got a block, some 120 grit sand paper, and started flattening them out. Sanding through to 2000 grit, then polishing on a buffer, gave them a nice, perfectly flat, highly polished finish.
Then, in a moment of brilliance, i decided to sand blast them, to match the blower finish (anodised back as cast). Applied a coat of clear, but then lost all their nice look. Instant regret!
So back to the 120 grit, through to 2000 again, buffed, and then cleaned to suit the lacquer coating I was planning to do originally.
I drew up some GTS logos in CAD, and had the local sign shop cut them out in masking film. I used a 4:1 clear suitable for aluminium, by Spray Chief, with black candy mixed in. Then an extra coat of clear just to protect the surface, and let it dry before sanding back and buffing the front section.
I applied the GTS logo (two part), and taped off a set of "stripes", before adding solid black. Then pulled the centre section of the GTS logo, taped off the black, and sprayed the same candy red I used on the boot strip, badges and wheel arch moulds. I sprayed the bug catcher butterflies while i was at it for consistency.
Once that has all cured off, I grabbed a scalpel, and trimmed the furry edges of the GTS logo, then two coats of clear, sanded back to remove the "edge" and then one more clear to seal it all.
Sanded with 800/1200/1500/2000, then buffed. Done!
Labour during this period: 26 hours
Sanding and buffing covers 8 hours
Sand blast, then resand and buff (grrrr) 12 hrs
Paint, and buff 6 hrs